Original Sampler Locations
The samplers in our collection are from across the British Isles and are providing us with a fascinating window into past eras and individual histories that may otherwise have remained lost in time. We always try to identify the original stitcher if we can and have been lucky with many of our samplers. Some arrived with provenance at the time of purchase, others have unique identifiers that have made them readily traceable, others still needed many hours work to uncover from the records. Sadly we have some that we can't trace but are confident they are also likely to be British in origin, purchased here and often displaying a style that was prevalent in the nations of the United Kingdom around the time of their creation.
For the samplers we have currently reproduced or are soon to be released, we have plotted the stitchers' locations on the following map. We have also created an interactive google earth map should you wish to explore the localities of these stitchers as they are in the present day. We will endeavour to keep this resource up to date as we add to our reproduction list.
Below the map we will list out the samplers by area as a quick reference guide as the map itself could become very congested over time!
Sampler Locations List
Samplers from England
- Emily Harben 1824 - Born 1814 in Stepney, London - See Emily's sampler here
- Elizabeth Cockerill 1831 - Born 1821 in Gayton, Northamptonshire - See Elizabeth's sampler here
- Ada Billson 1863 - Born 1852 in Leicester, Leicestershire - See Ada's sampler here
- Flory Morement 1897 - Born 1887 in Bath, Somerset - See Flory's sampler here
- Happy Piper 1819 - Born 1808 in Hawkhurst, Kent - See Happy's sampler here
- Catherine Annie Jupp 1877 - Born 1866 in Westerham, Kent - See Catherine's sampler here
- Mary Jane Robson 1878 - Born 1866 in Consett, Durham - See Mary's sampler here
Samplers from Scotland
- Anne Logan 1840 - Born in 1827 in Coylton, South Ayrshire - See Sarah's sampler here
Samplers of uncertain locations